Oh my, oh my! These restaurant quality gluten free vegan lemon poppy seed muffins are sure to blow your mind Everything is amazing about these softy, fluffy, scrumptious lemon poppy seed muffins: They’re vegan, low fat, AND gluten free! Bonus points! I really wanted to make lemon poppyseed muffins as I haven’t had them in so many years. They used to be one of my all time favorite types of muffins, and then out of the blue on a sunday afternoon, I just thought about them again, and how amazing it would be to make a gluten free vegan version!
Check out the video below or the recipe below to see how these muffins are made.
Yes, these muffins are cooked. I’m starting to expand my website to allow for people who want other healthy options other than raw. Rather than them saying ‘raw is too hard’ and go back to eating a cheeseburger, I would much rather them have the options to find something healthier. It’s not all or nothing. There are different levels of healthfulness when it comes to cooked food. A steamed carrot and a coffeecake muffin from Dunkin Donuts are completely different in how it will effect your body.
Makes 12 lemon poppyseed muffins
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (A mix of oat flour and rice flour in a 1:1 ratio should work also, but I have not tested that.)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened vegan milk (I used a cashew hazelnut blend)
- 2 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Zest from 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tins with coconut oil. (If you do not want to use oil, you may use cupcake wrappers. Just place them into the muffin tin)
- Mix together gluten-free flour, coconut palm sugar, baking soda, baking powder, poppy seeds, ground flax seed and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl combine lemon juice, plant based milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Do not over-stir. If you do, your muffins won’t rise very well.
- Pour batter into the muffin tin and bake for 17-22 mins on middle rack.
- You will know when they are done when you can poke a toothpick into the muffins and it comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely. This is important so they don’t get overcooked.